Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 12:10:10 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>
Cc:        "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Should IPFilter be pulled from FreeBSD as well

> > It is being pulled from OpenBSD for what seems like a pretty good reason to
> > me.
> >
> > This is really quite sad as IPFilter really is a nice piece of software.
>
> 	What's sad is that people who don't understand the issues involved are
> jumping on bandwagons that they shouldn't. Darren and the FreeBSD core team
> are already in the process of clarifying that FreeBSD's use of IPfilter is
> "with permission," and therefore falls within the parameters of the
> license.

I think everyone understand that, but what if another entity (not
FreeBSD) takes the FreeBSD code and modifies it for use in an embedded
product.  Are they allowed to modify the ipf source code for use inside
of their product, like they are capable of doing with the rest of the
source tree.  This is the single-biggest difference between Linux and
*BSD from a non-technical point of view, and the reason that I help
found the FreeBSD project and didn't go they way of Linux/GNU/GPL.

Nate