Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 12:56:43 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Kevin Eliuk <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:OOPS: Question on preparing for Re-Install

Kevin Eliuk writes:
 > > 		wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
 > > 		wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <Maxtor 71084 AP>
 > > 		wd0: 1036MB (2121840 sectors), 2105 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T,
 > > 		512 B/S
 > > 		(LBA OnTrack 7.04)
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This may just be what bit your original installation; you cannot use
"LBA" mode with FreeBSD.  You *must* tell FreeBSD the *real* geometry
of the disk.

 > I've done the re-install and Although I don't have the original of your
 > reply I remember your comment about "another Maxtor drive failing" well
 > I'm pleased (although slightly embarassed) to say it was "another Maxtor
 > owner failure to read all the instructions" failure :-!

I've not had any more problems with Maxtor disks than any other brand.

 > Everything seems hunky dory, ran lmbench without a crash but I gather
 > without more memory it dogs down in the in the latency tests because its
 > defaults are minimum 8MB. Is this true?

Yeah, 5 meg is pretty minimal for FreeBSD.  I recently upgraded from 16M
to 32M because I was tired of paging while running Emacs and Netscape
under X!  ;^)