Date:      Mon, 03 Jul 2000 00:29:56 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Subject:   Re: regcomp(3) acting weird?

Brad Knowles wrote:

>          sps->sps_reg_errno = regcomp(&sps->sps_reg, sps->sps_name, cflags);
>          if (sps->sps_reg_errno != 0) {

This is where you should place some helpful printfs, but your problem
isn't here. For one thing...

>                  free(sps);
>                  return NULL;

Notice how it frees sps and returns NULL in case of error, so one would
never be able to retrieve the error anyway.

For another thing,

                                  ^

>         The section of spegla.c that is calling this routine is:
>
> /* ARGSUSED */
> static void
> add_param_sps(int option, const char *arg, struct cl_sps_que **q)
> {
>          struct  sp_skip *sps;
>
>          option = 0; /* quiet gcc */
>          if (*q == NULL && ((*q = cl_sps_init()) == NULL))
>                  e_err(1, "cl_sps_init");
>          if ((sps = sps_init(arg)) == NULL)
>                  e_err(1, "sps_init");
                            ^^^^^^^^^^
>          if (sps_error(sps))
>                  e_errx(1, "sps_init: %s", sps_strerror(sps));
                                      ^
>          (void) cl_sps_push(*q, sps);
> }

See how the error seems not to be a result of sps_init(), but of
sps_error(). Could you please post sps_error() and struct sp_sip
definition?

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

		<jkh> _DES: The Book of Bruce has only one sentence in it, and it says
"the actual directives of my cult are left as an exercise for the
reader. Good luck."
		<EE> jkh: does it really include the 'good luck' part?
		<jkh> EE: OK, I made that part up.
		<jkh> EE: I figured it should sound a bit more cheery than how Bruce
initially dictated it to me.