Date:      Fri, 02 Jan 2004 01:20:55 +0300
From:      Artem Ignatiev <timon@memphis.mephi.ru>
To:        fbsd_user <fbsd_user@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: conf/60792: rc.conf fails to flag unknown values as error

On fri, 02.01.2004, at 00:00, fbsd_user wrote:
>  I have written enough programs in my life time to know that what you
>  are trying to tell me is wrong.
>  The values are in some kind of standard table, the table is scanned
>  looking for match.
>  No match issue error message.  I put vidcontrol statement in rc.conf
>  and it was flagged as error
>  because it was native command, so I know it can be done.
Go and look into the system boot-up process.
All your settings are stored as environmental variables. All of them are
processed by shell script. Do you want to see your system unbootable,
since no table of settings will tell booting process, working like
you're describing, that PATH is a "good" setting? PATH don't turn
anything on or off, but it's required, and it's always exist from
system-wide defaults.
Remember, there is no seatbelts here if you're root, and it's a Bad
Thing (TM) to blame developers for YOUR mistakes.