Date:      Thu, 16 Jun 2011 15:05:20 +0100
From:      Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: OT: printer, our cups port, and is-there-a-generic-laser?

On 06/16/11 07:28, Gary Kline wrote:
> is there a laser other than the brother {tm}?  i mean, that the
> members of this org would go for?

It depends how much printing you need it for, so check the
manufacturer's specs. I've got a Kyocera FS-C5200DN, which is rated as a
workgroup printer good for 1000s of pages a month. It gets used
regularly for printing leaflets, brochures, etc in 100s at a time and
works out considerably cheaper than Staples or other local copy shops
for that sort of thing - below 2p per page ($0.03) for b&w, below 7p
($0.11) for colour according to the reviews.

Reasonably fast (except on stuff from the Mac's word processor program
for some reason), seems reliable but we've only had it about 8 months so
not long enough to see any long term problems.