Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:12:46 -0800
From:      David Benfell <benfell@parts-unknown.org>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stupid scripting question: zsh

--aVD9QWMuhilNxW9f

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:19:40 -0600, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Jan 29), David Benfell said:
> > I've been upgrading my FreeBSD system into a fully-fledged desktop
> > system.
> >=20
> > zsh as installed (from the port) seems only to recognize the
> > /etc/zshenv startup file.  And I needed an stty command to get proper
> > backspace/delete behavior.  Because only the /etc/zshenv file seemed
> > to be recognized, I had to put the stty command in it.
>=20
> I'd start by figuring out why the other zsh startup scripts aren't
> being read.  I install zsh from ports on all my systems and haven't
> seen this.  Are you running zsh -f, or have you unset the RCS shell
> option from within zshenv?  Either will prevent the other rc scripts
> from being loaded.  If you run "truss -f -o log zsh", do you see it try
> to load zshrc?
>=20

Okay, I figured out how to run truss (yes, I had the PROCFS and PSEUDOFS
options in my kernel).  Yes, it tries to access /etc/zshrc.  I was trying
zlogin, which I had seen on a Linux system.

So I've made *this* change, and everything now works.  Thanks!

> Anyway, here's how to emulate zprofile, zshrc, and zlogin from within
> zshenv (untested).  Stick this at the bottom of your zshenv:
>=20
> if [[ -o rcs && -o login ]] ; then
>  # code that would be better off in zprofile
> fi
> if [[ -o rcs && -o interactive ]] ; then
>  # code that would be better off in zshrc
> fi
> if [[ -o rcs && -o login ]] ; then
>  # code that would be better off in zlogin
> fi
>=20
Thanks!

--=20
David Benfell, LCP
benfell@parts-unknown.org
---
Resume available at http://www.parts-unknown.org/
NOTE: I sign all messages with GnuPG (0DD1D1E3).

--aVD9QWMuhilNxW9f

--aVD9QWMuhilNxW9f--