Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 1996 10:46:01 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk (Scott Mitchell)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux emulation and ELF

> I'm sure this has been asked before, but I must have missed it.  Is it
> possible to run Linux ELF binaries under the FreeBSD Linux emulation?  If
> so, how much do I need to upgrade my 2.1R setup to make it work?  Want to
> run the Java devkit, but it's all ELF.

Running Linux ELF binaries requires at least -stable, if not actually
-current.  The Linux emulation in the 2.1R is for Linux a.out binaries
only.

There is a JDK "port" for regular FreeBSD-current.  It requires (I
believe) Netscape b2 (the current version of Netscape is b4).  I
believe the JDK uses shared context variables across applets,
which is a huge security hole.  I don't know how the JDK can
run in a fixed implementation, without changes.  I suspect there
will need to be a definition of an authenticated IPC mechanism
some time soon for the bugfixed versions.

Otherwise, run a non-bugfixed version (like b2), but don't go out on
the net with it.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---