Date:      17 May 1996 06:57:44 -0500
From:      "Richard Wackerbarth" <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        "Philippe Regnauld" <regnauld@tetard.hsc.fr>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Hackers" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Standard Shipping

> Richard Wackerbarth ˇcrit / writes:
> 	Errm, so far I've only seen a majority of people satisifed with the
installation procedure (like  those  "great work guys" messages

I can only quote from the previous Walnut Creek Catalog.
"Slackware Linux is very easy to install" and similar quotes. I agree that
Jordan has done an EXCELLENT job at improving the ease of installation. It
will only take some time for the word to spread. IMBO, we have a better
product. That does not mean that we cannot improve it. While most of the
"hackers" concentrate on the code in the release, I'm attempting to address
the distribution channels.

> 	If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It.

> 	What  do  people  think ?  So   far  I've seen  one complaint about
ftp.ee.freebsd.org.

I think you may be asking the wrong crowd. Most of you don't see the activity
that I am addressing. Or the e-mail that I get about using CTM. You are not
the ones who have to archive multiple copies of 30M files that all contain the
same information packaged in slightly different formats. You are not the one
who has to generate a special "patch" for each new CD that is released.

My proposal is to install a mechanism that simplifies the situation for the
users. The implementation is not difficult. And once the scripts are changed,
they will keep things going automatically rather than requiring repeated
manual intervention.

--

...computers in the future may have only 1,000 vacuum tubes and weigh
only 1/2 tons.      --  Popular Mechanics, March 1949