Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 1999 21:16:30 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee (Narvi)
Cc:        kris@airnet.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Porting FreeBSD to the Mac (68K or PPC)

> > It wasn't that long ago that I began to think about the fact that Apple
> > had contacted the FreeBSD folks (-core, I think) about including some
> > parts into Mac OS X. For some reason, I thought about the possiblity of
> > porting FreeBSD to the "Mac" platform and was suddenly enlightened.
> > However, if Mac OS X doesn't run on 68K machines, I see no reason why we
> > can't ask for a little help in porting...
> >
> > Of course, I'm one to speak. The only Mac I own doesn't work.
>
> Look in the archives of FreeBSD-sparc on when (and how) to ask a
> commercial entity for help.
>
> The demand for freebsd that runs on 68x machines is probably low to very
> low. Especially has NetBSD has been available for some time and FreeBSD
> doesn't (AFAIK) support VME yet.

NetBSD runs fine on my 68040 HP box.  And binaries will run across
the HP/Amiga/Macintosh platforms, no problems.

I think a 680x0 FreeBSD port would be a neat thing; you could
easily leverage the NetBSD work for most of it.

For that matter, NetBSD runs on iMacs (PPC); Doug Ambrisko uses
netbooting to boot them up occasionally around here.

Come to think of it, Whistle has rather an "in" with I.B.M. for
things like RS/6000 and other equipment as well, these days,
seeing as I.B.M. owns us... 8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---