Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:11:14 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        David Uhring <duhring@charter.net>
Cc:        Jim Mock <jim@freebsd.org>, Andreas Ntaflos <ntaflos.andreas@gmx.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: realplayer and freebsd?

On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 12:55:25AM -0500, David Uhring wrote:

> [...]

[snip]

> > OK, I've installed the port. Do you know a URL where the plugin will
> > (should) actually run? Everywhere I try (e.g. radio stations) just
> > fires up the external RP program, plays Welcome.rm and just sits
> > there.

[snip]

> http://real.com  Click on Radio Stations on the left side of the page, then
> select your choice of music.

OK, I picked the first one, "Rock 'n' Roll At Your Fingertips"

> RP should come up and indicate "contacting".

Yes, it did, but after trying for ~10 secs a pop-up appeared:

     Some components are not available to provide playback of this
     presentation on your system"

Clicking "More Info" took me to

http://service.real.com/errors/more_information.html?errorid=notdef&hurlid=75618157

and this message:

    RealSystem G2 Messages

   This is an infrequently occurring error message, and therefore we
   have not provided a solution in this list. Please send e-mail to
   Technical Support using the Support Request form. In your request,
   please include the error message text as well as what you were doing
   just prior to the message's appearance.

I've changed all instances of ``%u'' to ``%s'' as recommended by
someone else.

BTW, the original problem of it just playing "Welcome.rm" was because
I hadn't realized that the 2 scripts,  pluginstall.sh and
postinstall.sh were per-user and had only run them as root.

I'm still trying to find a .rpm file to fire up the plugin.

I'm beginning to think that RealPlayer is a load of crap <sigh>

> If it doesn't, check your
> mime-types in Netscape/Edit/
> Preferences/Navigator/Applications.  If all else fails, download the
> RealPlayer8 Basic for Redhat,
> the binary executable version, not the rpm.  Make the file executable chmod
> +x and run it.  It works
> and works just fine.  You will get a SEGFAULT after completing the install
> and registration crap,
> don't worry about it.

  If I buy a copy of WinDelete, and it doesn't delete Windows,
  am I entitled to my money back?