Date:      Thu, 04 Jan 2001 11:43:34 -0800
From:      bmah@FreeBSD.org (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>, arch@FreeBSD.org, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, David Xu <davidx@viasoft.com.cn>, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>, "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Release notes (was Re: retiring kernfs)

--==_Exmh_275096066P

If memory serves me right, John Baldwin wrote:

> > Why not mandate a line of the form
> >       RELEASE NOTE: yyyymmdd[hhmm[ss]] account - note
> > and then have an automated script gather these up regularly?

To Marius:  I presume you're referring to a mandatory line in commit
messages.  The problem is that there's lots of commits that don't really
result in release note entries (i.e. fixing a typo in an error
message, or eliminating a compiler warning).

> If that would work, then committers would be adding lines to RELNOTES.TXT
> directly on their own.

To John:  I agree, but I would love to be proven wrong.

(Thanks, by the way, to anyone who's committed to the release notes
files, especially gshapiro and sanpei, who have been especially
consciencious about this.)

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_275096066P

--==_Exmh_275096066P--