Date:      Sat, 18 Sep 1999 14:16:20 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSd Chat list <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: New bind not completely open source... why GPL is not always best

At 10:40 PM 9/12/99 -0500, David Kelly wrote:

>IMHO there is a big difference between my definition of "Open Source"
>and the political agenda behind FSF and GPL. To be open source the
>product does not have to be freely redistributable, it simply means you
>are given a copy of the source code. One of the earliest examples of
>Open Source that I'm familiar with is the monitor PROM in my Apple //e.
>I paid all of $10 for the Genuine Apple book containing the assembly
>listing. It was quite helpful. In the 80 column text scroll routine it
>was quite obvious the author disabled interupts exactly the opposite of
>the way documentation said, and his comments said. By the time I
>looked, had figured that out for myself.

So did I. And this helped me to identify a bug in an associate's BBS
software for the Apple //e which had puzzled him for many years. He
could not figure out why, when one sent characters to the system
very quickly, some would be dropped -- but only now and then. I
determined that the problem was that interrupts were off when the
screen scrolled -- and the UART only had a one-deep buffer.

--Brett Glass