Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2002 06:53:24 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X very slow

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 11:08:51PM -0500, sridharv@ufl.edu wrote:
> I have a machine with very modest hardware 32MB RAM and
> 500Mhz processor. My x sessions are very slow. So is my
> browsing. Mozilla takes long time to load. I ran KDE
> with Enlightenment and things were worse. I tried Gnome
> with sawfish and things seem better.

You have enough processing power, but not really enough memory
for KDE (Gnome is somewhat less demanding) .. but KDE is no
longer viable on small memory machines. Enlightenment is one
pig of a machine killer in it's own right.

There are quite a few lightweight alternatives, some of which
are also pleasant to use, I like WindowMaker myself, but there
are several others. You can generally still use KDE apps with them.

--
Regards
Cliff