Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 2000 08:08:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of -CURRENT on PC164?

> On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 01:00:53AM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> > What's the status of recent -CURRENT on PC164?
>
> VERY, very FUBAR'ed (and yes F == fucked).  I've bugged JHB several times
> to send a request out to the Alpha list telling PC164 owners what they
> could do to help find the problem.  For some reason I have yet to see
> this email from him.  I would email him directly at jhb@freebsd.org.

It's not John's problem to get people to help- John's done the right
thing within the constraints of the initial design that Doug left in
place. All of us who own PC164s are aware of the breakage.

It is my opinion, btw, that it isn't just a PC164 issue. I believe that the
current quenching design may ask too much of hardware and that the platforms
that -current currently works on only work by chance (the ability to turn off
interrupts at the bridge in the middle of an interrupt). But I could still be
quite wrong abou tthis.

Without spending all week on this problem (which I haven't got time on now)
and coming up with some testing strategy that can prove this one way or the
other, I haven't been able to help directly. The list of machines that do
*not* work is high, and yes, I'm losing lots of sleep over it. But I've also
been trying to spend time to make sure that 4.2 is better than 4.1.1 is (and
I'm waiting for an RC iso image from you to do some testing- I'll piss off
some clients and blow wednesday and maybe thursday on testing if you have one
ready).

-matt