Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 03:04:51 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAO Integration?

> > > Why not just check if there is a next (second) region defined that
> > > consumes the first one and use that for the mapping? All the cards
> > > that I have seen and all the complaints in the mailinglists with
> > > printouts of the CIS have a second memory region that totally
> > > overlaps the first, if you look at the host addr and blk length.
> >
> > Memory regions don't work that way; two regions based at 0 of length X
> > and Y are separate regions that have to be mapped separately into the
> > system memory space.
>
> Even if like in this example, it says that both of these regions use
> "host addr = 0xd4000"?

Yup.  Exactly what you do with the regions is up to the driver; there
may be other CIS information that describes them in more detail, but we
don't have all of the CIS here obviously.  It's possible that the two
regions are meant to be used for different purposes at different times.

> I would think that you only have one region through
> which you talk to the card and have some other way (like an io register
> that you set) to differentiate between the two regions on the card, but
> that doesn't mean you need more than one system memory space to talk to
> the card.

Agreed; we almost certainly should not simply be blindly mapping every
region that's listed in the CIS.

> The same kind of thing should be done for the IO space. In this example
> it says it needs two adjacent regions and there pccardd should just be
> clever enough to combine it into one region.

I'm not sure in this case whether this actually indicates two separate
regions or one region which can be located at two different addresses;
I'm on the other side of the Pacific from the docco right now.