Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 06:20:56 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Chad David <davidc@acns.ab.ca>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, phk@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [OT] RMS Suing was [SUGGESTION] - JFS for FreeBSD [VOTE]

Chad David wrote:
> If everybody wants a filesystem with the features of JFS and XFS, but the
> licensing of the ones already in existance will make RMS sue you, then
> why not just write a new one from scratch?  Then the issue of portability
> and licensing just go away, and you can toss GFS into the mix for fun.
>
> :-).
>
> (I am half serious).

The GFS people were willing to deal with the license issues, last
time we talked, but there is no FreeBSD storage device driver that
is capable of operating on shared storage, at this time, so there is
no way to test the correctness of anything by a local implementation,
which is relatively uninteresting, since future interoperability
requiremenets with, e.g. Linux or multiple FreeBSD clients of the
same storage device could dictate significant code changes being
required (e.g. dependency on explicit cache coherency may be implicit
in the design, etc.).

It would be nice if someone would write a shared media controller
driver so that a real implementation was possible.  Since we really
can't do anything with it without an FS that requires it, that
means someone who knows the hardware involved would need to work on
the driver code (e.g. not me, since I would have to educate myself).

-- Terry