Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:12:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com (Lowell Gilbert)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [FAQ] Re: Free space wierdness

> Herbert Wolverson <herbert@charizard.tsghelp.com> writes:
>
> > This is good, since the correct amount of free space now shows, and the
> > server is back to running perfectly. Can anyone shed any light as to why
> > this discrepancy happened in the first place? I'd love to know what I can do to avoid ever having to worry
> > about this again!
>
> "The du and df commands show different amounts of disk space available. What is going on?"
>   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#DU-VS-DF
>
> "How is it possible for a partition to be more than 100% full?"
>   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#DISK-MORE-THAN-FULL

These two questions are discussed so frequently on this and other lists
that you should be able to get numerous explanations with a small
search on Google and I would be surprised if there were not a FAQ on
this.  So, check the web page.

Basically, du and df look a slightly different things and there is
a difference between how much root and regular users are allowed to
write to a filesystem.

////jerry