Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2007 01:49:32 +0800
From:      "Rong-en Fan" <grafan@gmail.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Thomas Dickey <dickey@radix.net>, ache@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: ncurses is updated

On 4/10/07, Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 07, 2007 at 02:05:45AM +0800, Rong-en Fan wrote:
> > I just merged ncurses 5.6 and wide character support from
> > HEAD to 6.x. That means ncurses in 6.x is now up-to-date and
> > has wide character support, i.e., ncursesw library.
>
> I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for this.  You have no idea
> how long I've been waiting (okay, now you do: years!), as I never felt
> comfortable with having two versions of ncurses installed on a single
> box (base + port).
>
> So far it works great.  Thank you so much!

You are welcome.

> The only thing I've found, though, is that dialog(1) does not appear to
> properly handle UTF-8 encoding.  Line drawing characters show up as
> gibberish (alphanumeric characters).  I realise dialog isn't part of
> ncurses, but it does rely on it.  We should consider updating dialog to
> match this change.

You mean it display sometihng like "tqxu" instead of line drawing characters?
Last time I checked, I thought it is terminal related. When I use screen, it
uses line drawing character. For PuTTY, see:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2007-April/146577.html

The current dialog + utf8 MacOS's Term.app seems work just fine.
I'm playing with devel/cdialog and no matter it uses ncurses or ncursesw
the result is the same.

I'm CCing ache@ who imports GNU's dialog to our base and cdialog/ncurses
author, hope they can comment  :-)

Regards,