Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 2015 00:20:20 +0200
From:      Pierre Guinoiseau <pierre@guinoiseau.eu>
To:        Dewayne Geraghty <dewayne.geraghty@heuristicsystems.com.au>,  freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: openssl and bash libcrypto

--mqNhaIjKxWXpte44bu1eWBF7H24DggIO8

On 4/10/2015 9:07 AM, Dewayne Geraghty wrote:
>=20
>=20
> On 10/04/2015 11:47 AM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
>> Dewayne Geraghty wrote:
>>> Most likely there was a port build that required openssl port, and al=
so required
>>> something like libarchive or libfetch (for example), both require ope=
nssl base
>>> (I've found net-mgmt/net-snmp does this).  Your bt reveals that the s=
ymbol table
>>> is confused, as expected.=20
>> Ah, that's a good help. So I can easily core dump /usr/bin/vi by tryin=
g to edit any file. Forgive my ignorance of C debugging, but I'll stumble=
 through this:

>> 1. I attach gdb to the application and load the core dump.
>> 2. It tries to read symbols from a bunch of system libraries.
>> 3. In amongst all those libraries are some located in /usr/local:
>>
>>   /usr/local/lib/nss_ldap.so.1
>>   /usr/local/lib/libldap-2.4.so.2
>>   /usr/local/lib/liblber-2.4.so.2
>>   /usr/local/lib/libssl.so.8
>>   /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.so.8
>>
>> So the whole chain of problems originates from nss_ldap. But I'm confu=
sed about what I'm looking at here..

>> Did vi try to load some access control library when it tried to write =
a file out to disk, and then that loaded nsswitch which in turn I've tied=
 into the nss_ldap port, and then from there it was a slippery slope to d=
isaster of conflicting libraries?

>> I'll try building nss_ldap against base openssl and see if that helps,=
 but can someone help explain the naming here. Why do we have /usr/local/=
lib/libcrypto.so.8 but lib/libcrypto.so.7. Was this done when the openssl=
 port moved from 1.0.1 to 1.0.2? Isn't there usually a warning in UPDATIN=
G when we need to rebuild all ports for that reason?

>> If all ports move to only use openssl from ports, then how does my exa=
mple above get fixed? Doesn't it make it all worse?

>> So many questions! Thanks for all the help in understanding this.
>>
>> Ari
>>

> Ari,
> Anything under /usr/local/ should be regarded as coming from /usr/ports=

> - that is, it is *not* part of the base system.  /lib and /usr/lib are
> part of the base system.  If your system is crashing due to /usr/bin/vi=

> which is part of the base system, then something is very wrong with the=

> system.  I'm guessing but is it possible that you've installed 32 libs
> onto a 64 base system, or the other way around?
>=20
> I can't see how vi needs anything under /usr/local, as its from the
> "base" system - so I guess others may need to step up to assist.
> Regards, Dewayne
>=20

As he said, he's using nss_ldap, which is dynamically loaded by almost
everything from the ports _and_ the base system if ldap is enabled in
/etc/nsswitch.conf, that's why /usr/bin/vi crashes too. I have the same
problem in jails with nss_ldap installed and configured, even a simple
ls -l would segfault. As a result, I have downgraded openssl to 1.0.1
and wait until a fix comes out.

--=20
Pierre Guinoiseau <pierre@guinoiseau.eu>
http://segmentationfau.lt/ | +PierreGuinoiseau | @peikk00