Date:      Fri, 28 Nov 1997 11:16:59 -0800
From:      Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, dirk.vangulik@jrc.it
Subject:   Re: Flash card support

Warner Losh wrote:

> What's the current level of flash card support in FreeBSD?  A quick grep
> of the kernel shows nothing interesting....

If with flash-card you mean 'CompactFlash' card, then with PAO, it works
like a dream. With the unpatched 3.0 kernel it works too; but you have to be
little more careful when taking out the card; i.e. anything mounted and it
hangs hard. Likewise for a pccardc power down. But with PAO, no problems at
all.

Though my exprience is limitited to just 6 cards from Sandisk, Kodak,
Hitatchi and an IBM card (5, 5, 10, 35Mb and 128Mb) they are so similar that
I really would be surprized if it could not be generalized. Judging from the
list of entries in PAO's /etc/pccardc.conf this is a general thing. (Or it
is because everyone OEMs of sandisk it seems :-)

They appear as a WDC1770 controller; i.e just compile in a wdc2. On a
desktop machine you obviously need to compile cdr0 etc in as well.

I use them with my kodak camera, my Psion 5 and with a plastic adaptor thing
on a Vaio laptop and, with a ISA/PCMCIA adaptor from kento on two desktop
machines.

To ensure compatibility with the kodak camera and the psion I use a normal
dos file system on them. It mounts right away. The only catch is that the
camera gets unhappy if you fiddle with upper and lower case file names; and
when there is a space in the name. But apparently the latest firmware
upgrade from kodak fixes this. But I've not tried this. So I modified the
msdos fs to always write un uppercase and be a little less strickt when
matching in unix.

Dw.