Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 21:28:56 -0400
From:      David Heller <dheller1@rochester.rr.com>
To:        Davis Doherty <dd002f@mail.rochester.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with the ep driver

Davis Doherty wrote:

>         Well, after sticking with FreeBSD 3.2 for a while, I decided I
> wanted to upgrade to 4.0. I prefer doing an FTP install, so I went through
> the steps, and the first weird thing I noticed is that the GENERIC kernel
> booted with an entry for ep0 and ep1, even though I only have a single
> 3c509 ISA card; I then entered in the appropriate net info for ep0, and I
> was rewarded with a system hang. Hmm. I started over, and tried setting up
> ep1 just for fun. It worked, but now I was getting horrendously slow
> transfer rates. Hmm again. Finally, I decided to install off of my fresh
> subscription CDs. Everything worked, but I still got the ep0 and ep1
> appearing in the GENERIC kernel during boot. I noticed it said something
> like "unable to wake eeprom" next to the ep0 line (actually, lines - there
> were several like this) during boot; ep1 was a happy camper, however.
> After setting up ep1, transfers were really slow, as before. How do I go
> about solving this mess, starting with forcing the system to realize I
> only have a single ep NIC card? Thanks muchly for any help you can offer.
>         Forgive me if this has already been answered; I looked through the
> mailing list archives, but I did not find this there (and I am not
> actually subscribed to this mailing list).
>
> -Davis
>
> "He who knows best knows how little he knows."
>                         -Thomas Jefferson

Hi

Make sure you have this line in your kernel config file:
device  ep
(The driver will not function properly if you try to specify ports and
irqs in your config file)
That's all the driver needs, In FreeBSD4 the driver autoprobes the
cards. If you have two NICS in your system  you might have to
reconfigure some of your startup files as what was ep0 might now be ep1
and vice versa. Depending on which card is seen first. As far as can't
wake up eeprom error. You might have to boot up in dos and run the
configuration tool which came with your nic and disable plug_and_pray
And run the diagnostic tools to make sure the card is functioning
properly.

Hope this helps,

Dave