Date:      Sun, 4 Apr 2021 13:35:36 +0200
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@riseup.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wifi scanner for FreeBSD

On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 20:45:12 +1000, matti k wrote:
>https://imgur.com/a/J6HIGpZ

It does show "available" networks, but not transmitting
capacity. Due to digitalisation of elementary schools in Germany,
enforced by the coronavirus pandemic, as somebody working for after
school childcare, a teacher and I set up LTE wifi routers and iPads.
That a network is displayed, doesn't mean that you get a reliable
connection. The school has got 5 routers and IIRC 25 iPads +
several other receivers (a digital board, smartphones and a TV).

I described my private network and mentioned that "I would be surprised
to see it in about a 9 meter distance". Actually it most likely is
recognized by devices >= 9 meters away, but it's unlikely usable at
this distance.

The forums link provided by Matthias, see
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2021-April/293682.html
mentions why it's a tricky subject.

In school those iPads show powerful access to the LTE wifi routers, but
often the closest routers isn't usable, while a less close router can
be used, at least with a single iPad, dunno if it stands the traffic of
all the iPads.

The graphic provided by Matthias' Ubuntu based cellphone shows an
amazing transmitting capacity spike. It could be important to actually
get such information, not only for wifi. Depending on atmospheric
condition, there could be e.g. interferences between DVB-T
transmitters. Too powerful signals could become a PITA for somebody who
wants to watch television, OTOH amateur radio operators might welcome
such atmospheric conditions ;).

Getting a list without reliable information about the power is quite
useless. iPads for example provide a graphic showing 3 lines. Usually 3
and 2 lines are for a good connection and even 1 line still could be
reliable. At home 2 lines are ok for me, in school those lines mean
absolutely nothing. You could get those lines, but the connection still
could be fishy.