Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:46:18 -0800
From:      Ken Marx <kmarx@vicor.com>
To:        FreeBSD Multimedia <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Fbsd4.7, X4.3, Netscape,...

Hi,

I just loaded XFree86 4.3 from binaries onto a
4.7-RELEASE box to get Radeon 9000 dvi support
(et al).

That worked very nicely, but now the old netscape4.5
segv's (ktrace/dump output available but not too interesting).

So, I figured (this being an old box) that I should update
my ports tree and install communicator 4.8. At install
time I find a problem with:

 netscape48-communicator/work/communicator-v48.x86-unknown-linux2.2/vreg

which also dumps core (again ktrace uninteresting).

So, I look and see that I'm running linux_base-5.2. Oh.
So I go to linux_base. Make works. Install gives this:

  error: /usr/ports/distfiles/rpm/glibc-2.2.4-31.i386.rpm cannot be installed
  *** Error code 1

Nice. I futz with Makefile to see what's going on, find the offending
command, and run by hand with debugging turned on:

  LC_ALL=C rpm -vv -U --root /compat/linux --dbpath /var/lib/rpm --nodeps  --replacepkgs --ignoreos --ignorearch /usr/ports/distfiles/rpm/glibc-2.2.4-31.i386.rpm
  <...LOTS OF DEBUG HERE...>
  D: removing conflict index for rpm
  D: removing conflict index for glibc-devel
  D: package has no files
  D: running postinstall script (if any)
  execution of script failed
  error: /usr/ports/distfiles/rpm/glibc-2.2.4-31.i386.rpm cannot be installed

Uh... package has no files? Ok. It has 5Mb+ of no files.

Any help appreciated at this point. Either version
of netscape would be fine.

Thanks,

Ken Marx, kmarx@vicor-nb.com
Even the simplist minds see the need to optimize and stop beating around the
bush on the continuous improvement process.
		- http://www.bigshed.com/cgi-bin/speak.cgi