Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 06:40:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/20804: deadlocking when using vnode disk file and quotas

The following reply was made to PR kern/20804; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To: phk@FreeBSD.org
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org,
	Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 09:39:17 -0400 (EDT)

 Poul-Henning,

 Do you have a chance to look at this bug, which was raised on -fs
 recently?  It has to do, I believe, with a recursive lock/deadlock issue
 relating to the md device and the UFS quota implementation, presumably a
 lock ordering issue relating to the md device vnode lock and the vnode
 lock for the quota data file on that file system.  I haven't had a chance
 to look much further, and apparently it mostly manifests in jail (I'm not
 sure I understand why that might be the case -- possibly having to do with
 the starting point (root) for recursive name lookups with lock requests).

 Thanks,

   Robert N M Watson