Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 19:08:43 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Chris Csanady <cc@tarsier.ca.sandia.gov>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: pci_map_mem() failing..

On 1998-07-28 12:22 -0700, Chris Csanady <cc@tarsier.ca.sandia.gov> wrote:
> This is my second try at sending this message.. the first one did not
> seem to get through. :\
>
> Anyways.. I am working on a device driver, and so far have not been able to
> get this seemingly simple aspect of it to work.  I am getting the following
> error:
> 	pci_map_mem failed: bad memory type=0xfffff004
>
> It seems that the pci code does not know how to handle 64bit cards.  If
> I yank the lines in pci.c that check the memory type, it produces no
> errors, although the mapping still does not work.  What am I missing
> here?
>
> This is on a 2.2.6 box.

Ummm, I see ...

Well, this should work under 3.0-current, but I didn't
find a card to actually verify this ... ;-)

It shouldn't be too hard to make the 2.2.x PCI code deal
with 64bit maps, provided the high address bits are just
zero (I expect the address to be "unsigned").

I'll try to provide you with a patch, which will DTRT if
the map register is 64 bits long and the map resides in
the first 4GB of address space.

Sorry, I'm still overloaded (fetched mail from my ISP for
the first time after more than a week for lack of time all
those previous days ...) and it may be only after the weekend
that I can offer a fix ...

Regards, STefan

PS: I'd love to know whether the PCI code in -current can
    deal with that 64 bit map. If you can't boot a -current
    kernel, then please send "pciconf -r" results for the
    map registers of that device (instructions on request :)