Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 98 16:47:43 -0600
From:      "Jay Moseley" <jay_moseley@ibm.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Install problem: cannot mount root after install

I have a problem installing 2.2.5. I am able to create the floppy
from the CD image and boot from it. I configured for my system,
eliminating all the conflicts, and do a novice installation following
the guidelines in 'The Complete FreeBSD'. When I remove the floppy to
boot from the hard drive, it loads the kernel, probes for the devices
and then issues these two lines:

	changing root device to wd1a
	panic: cannot mount root

And then it reboots.

My system is:

	SuperMicro P5MMS98 motherboard
	AMD K6 233 mhz cpu with 64 mb ram
	2 ide drives each as single drive on separate controller
	Panasonic CD-ROM (SCSI) attached via NCR PCI SCSI board

I have Windows 95 installed on the 1st drive (as per DOS restriction)
and OS/2 installed on the second drive (shared with the FreeBSD
installation). I am using System Commander to boot the system. I had
expected some problems with System Commander from discussions in the
manual as well as discussion on the newsgroups, but it correctly
reports that it has detected the FreeBSD install after the system
reboots and has added it to the selection menu.

The 2nd drive geometry is: 8896/15/63/512 (physical) 522/255/63/512
(logical) and the layout (as reported from System Commander's
information screen) is:

	0/1/1 - 76/254/63    OS/2 primary partition (bootable)
	77/0/1 - 215/254/63  FreeBSD
	216/1/1 - 521/254/63 HPFS extended partition (OS/2 file
space)

I have gone through the installation procedure 3 times, but the
result is the same, so it is something that is not a 'fluke'. Can you
point me in a direction to try and diagnose the problem?

TIA,

Jay Moseley