Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 1995 02:34:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        aspray@faceng.newcastle.edu.au (Andrew Spray)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Handling disk translations with more than 16 heads?

 there are ways of "fiddling" this..
how much room do you want to allocate to which OS?
looks like a 2GB drive right?

If you only need to be able to give DOS 480MB or so,
then you can use a 16 head translation, and put the root part of the
BSD part from 480 to 500 MB

Once FreeBSD is up and running it'll be able to use all those extra cyls

alternatively, you CAN make FreeBSD and DOS work on differnt
geometries..
(basically the boot blocks work on whatever the BIOS uses and in the
translation to the kernel you CAN make it use a differnt geometry
(well you USED TO  BE ABLE to.. (I'll have to go look at a few things))
but even back when I used to do such terrible things you had to REALLY know
what you were doing....

I believe this has been fixed in 2.1