Date:      Sun, 4 Nov 2001 10:08:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      <scanner@jurai.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ports spawning thousands of make problem..

The last two day's whe trying to do anything port related install, clean,
etc.. make forks itself to death and spawns thousands of makes wedging
this box. It's running 4.4-STABLE. And the world has been built fresh the
last 2 days. I thought it might be a hosed Mk file in /usr/ports/Mk or
something so I nuked /usr/ports and cvsuped a new collection. And it still
happens. So it has to be a hosed Makefile somewhere else. Ive rebuilt
world twice and I cant seem to figure out whats causing the ports Make to
go nutty. World builds fine and so does the kernel. It's building ports or
installing them that causes make to fork thousands of makes. Anyone have
an idea what the problem could be? Or what files I should trash and grab
fresh copies of?

-Chris Watson         (816) 464-7780 | Sr. Unix Administrator
Work:           chris.watson@twa.com | Trans World Airlines, Kansas City, MO
Home:              scanner@jurai.net | http://www.twa.com
WINDOWS:   All our IP belongs to us.
GNU/LINUX: Touch our IP, and your IP belongs to us.
BSD: 	   Here's our IP, just use it.