Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2007 12:18:41 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Matt Juszczak <matt@atopia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Remote Server FSCK

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 12:16:16PM -0400, Matt Juszczak wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a dedicated box with a hosting company.  The power supply failed in
> the box this morning, and the company replaced it and brought the box back
> up.
>
> In my logs, I have:
>
> Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
> WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
> WARNING: /home was not properly dismounted
> WARNING: /tmp was not properly dismounted
> WARNING: /usr was not properly dismounted
> /usr: mount pending error: blocks 80 files 1
> WARNING: /var was not properly dismounted
> WARNING: /var/tmp was not properly dismounted
>
> In my opinion, this calls for an fsck in single user mode.  Unfortunately,
> I don't have access to the box.
>
> Is htis something I should have them do?  It seems /usr is affected, and
> the /var/log/messages shows a few other errors as well.
>
> What's the best way to go about fixing this.  Should I ask them to `fsck
> -y` from console in single user mode since I can't be there to look at the
> prompts?

Well, did it run the fsck?
Those messages look pretty routine and should be handled
by the regular fsck done on a normal boot.  Usually the
regular fsck will run and clean up most simple stuff.
Try rebooting the machine again and see if it still has the
same messages.   If so, then see if they will do the single-user
fsck for you.   But, I am guessing that it actually already
cleaned up for you.

////jerry