Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:20:37 -0600
From:      "Scott Milliken" <scott@e-comsultant.net>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: BSD box as Airport replacement?

I have implemented another option that works rather well...   especially
since I didn't want to buy wireless NICs for all of the machines behind my
NAT gateway.  Several vendors provide Access Points that simply bridge the
traffic from wireless to wireline.  Personally I have the D-Link DWL-1000AP
access point and DWL-650 PCMCIA wireless NIC.  The D-Link system (and many
others) utilize several methods for access control.  First, all devices on
the wireless LAN have to be set to the same SSID in order to work.
Secondly, you can limit access to a list of MAC addresses.  Finally, if
you're really paranoid, you can enter a hex value for an encryption key on
each card and the traffic itself will be encrypted.  I can't testify as to
whether or not the D-Link PCMCIA card works in FreeBSD, but it wasn't quite
clear in your message if more than the gateway itself was running FreeBSD.
Anybody out there know for sure if it does work?

Scott Milliken