Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 1996 12:19:19 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        JKtheOWL@aol.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Loading packages

JKtheOWL@aol.com wrote:

> Greetings'
>
> Thank you, Doug for your help in getting the system up and running. But
> now...
>
> I am trying to get specific packages from FTP6 and install them. The
> sysinstall utility does not seem to find anything (INDEX or lynx-2.FM) no
> matter where I put them. (In the freebsd directory, packages, etc. -- all DOS
> partition.)

This is because DOS messes up with the fiole name. Take the package gziped
tarball and put it on a FFS partition, and give it the original name it had. Then
use (as root):

pkg_add <pkg_file_name>

> Do you have a straightforward suggestion for getting specific files via ftp
> through my DOS client and then installing them on the FreeBSD partition? I'm
> especially interested in the HTML browser to aid in reading all the
> documentation provided and now on the unix partition.

You may want to get Netscape. I take it that your FreeBSD machine is not on the
internet? If so, you'll need to download the port tarball from the FreeBSD ftp
site, and Netscape's tarball from their site. Then put it in the correct
directory (look at the section about ports in the handbook) and make the port.
You may also try lynx or xmosaic (which, contrary to Netscape, are both free).

> The other question is shutting down. I get error messages on boot that tell
> me the last session was terminated without clean flags being set.
> Suggestions?

How do you shut down? The method I use is:
shutdown -h now

Though halt should also be O.K. However, I (and some others) have problems
shutting down 2.1.5 machines with MFS and X running if they have been up for a
long time. Is that your problem?

> I know this seems rudimentary, but until I can get to the manual pages and
> FAQs and get read up (in the O'reilly & Assoc. books -- great suggestion,
> thanks) I'm just too rusty to remember all this and really appreciate your
> help.
>
> Thanks, John
Nadav