Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 14:04:34 -0600
From:      Daniel Little <danl@metrex.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.7BSD: Seagate TRAVAN 40 writes but wont read; accessing /dev/as t0 causes device ata1 reset

I recently installed FreeBSD 4.7 on a new machine that has a Seagate
STT3401A 40GB internal ATAPI drive. I've spent the last couple of days
hunting to try and find some info that can help me solve my problem but have
basically come to the conclusion that this drive is probably not going to
work. However, as the money has been forked out, I'd like to not give up
just yet.

Basically, the symptoms of the problem are that I can write to the tape but
not read anything. I have tried various different write techniquies,
including using 'tar' and 'dump' with block sizes set to anywhere from 16 to
64, to just default values. For example,

# /sbin/dump -0 -u -b 16 -a -f /dev/nast0 /

is an attempt to dump the root directory using the non-rewind device,
/dev/nast0. I then rewind the tape like so:

# /usr/bin/mt -f /dev/ast0 rewind

and attempt to restore like so:

# /sbin/restore -i -b 16 -f /dev/nast0

The last command results in the following message being generated:

Tape is not a dump tape

Like I said, I've tried different block sizes, tried using /dev/ast0 just to
see if anything changes. Using 'tar' instead of dump generates a similar
message during the restore:

tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header

Using the non-rewind device is necessary in the long run so that I can dump
multiple partitions. However, when I use the /dev/ast0 device, messages like
the following are dumped to syslog (but do not appear for /dev/nast0):

Nov 25 13:32:55 server-01 /kernel: ast0: REZERO command timeout - resetting
Nov 25 13:32:55 server-01 /kernel: ata1: resetting devices .. done

In an attempt to blame the drive, I took the drive out and installed it on a
Win2k box hoping it would fail. No such luck - it worked like a charm.

Note, whichever application I use to write never generates any errors, but
the syslog info will be generated no matter which application I use - iff
the device used is /dev/ast0.

So, has anybody got any suggestions for me? Am I overlooking something
really simple? I've tried to see if there were any tunable device parameters
that I could adjust to work with to adjust to the tape drive, but I really
can't figure this out. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Daniel.