Date:      Wed, 10 May 1995 22:55:39 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        FREEBSD-PORTS-L <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ddd-bugs@ips.cs.tu-bs.de
Subject:   DDD 1.0a on FreeBSD 2.0

On Wed, 10 May 1995, Brian Tao wrote:

>     Oh, I just remembered one problem:  for some reason, the Makefile
> immediately proceeds to the "distclean" rule after creating the ddd
> binary.

    Problem was solved by using "gmake MAKE=gmake" instead of the
standard BSD make (it's in ~taob/ddd-1.0a/ on time.cdrom.com if
someone with appropriate powers wants to move the binary somewhere
more appropriate).

    Minor nit when running "configure":

Configuring for a i386-unknown-freebsdBUILT host.
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^

    It doesn't include the build date, but I gather that's not
terribly important, since the Makefiles and headers are generated
correctly.  Just do a "gmake MAKE=gmake", wait 20 minutes and get the
binary.  BTW, this is one huge sucker... 9 megs unstripped, 1 meg
stripped.  The statically linked binary is 2 megs.

    Brought the static binary back over to a machine here (another 20
minutes, *sigh*) and fired it up on a program I'm working on.  I get
this error when starting it up:

(gdb) cannot set terminal foreground process group: Inappropriate ioctl for device

    Two windows come up, one with the gdb command line (Command) and
the other with the source file.  Running the program sends the output
by default to the Command window.  It looks like that window doesn't
understand CR's (my program overprints lines during the run as a
progress meter), so the output was a bit weird.  Hitting the Interrupt
button didn't do anything; I had to kill the process from another
xterm.  Clicked around in the source window, followed functions
around, created a few data displays, etc. (very neat!).  During that
time, the xterm from which I had started ddd was showing a bunch of:

Warning:
    Name: source_arg
    Class: XmTextField
    Character ' ' not supported in font.  Discarded.

... over and over again.  Seems to happen when a drag-highlight parts
of source code containing tab characters.

    Running the program in a separate execution just hangs DDD when
the xterm (cleverly disguised as another DDD window) comes up.  No
output and the cursor is frozen on the hourglass bitmap.  Need to kill
it from another window.

    Anyhow, this is going on longer than I wanted (it wasn't supposed
to be a bug report or anything).  Just wanted to let people know DDD
does compile and run under FreeBSD 2.0-current sans twiddling as long
as you use GNU make.  It looks like the only thing you need to run ddd
is the binary itself (the online help is integrated into it).  Is
there some place I can place a binaries distribution temporarily for
people to FTP and test (I'm not convinced it is 100% functional under
FreeBSD yet) until a proper ports/package is made?

    The rest of this message is some output for the DDD folks' perusal
(please keep the Cc: intact).

% ddd --configuration
DDD 1.0a (i386-unknown-freebsdBUILT), Copyright 1995 TU Braunschweig, Germany.
Using X11R6, Xt11R6, Motif 2.0

Features:
#define _ICE_config_h
CRAY_STACKSEG_END=
C_ALLOCA=
GETGROUPS_T=gid_t
GETPGRP_VOID=1
HAVE_ALLOCA=1
HAVE_ALLOCA_H=
HAVE_ANSI_LIFETIME_OF_TEMPORARIES=1
HAVE_ARRAY_OPERATOR_NEW=1
HAVE_ATHENA_WIDGETS=1
HAVE_BOOL=1
HAVE_DIRENT_H=1
HAVE_DUP2=1
HAVE_DUP2_DECL=1
HAVE_ENDPWENT=1
HAVE_ENDPWENT_DECL=1
HAVE_FCNTL=1
HAVE_FCNTL_DECL=1
HAVE_FCNTL_H=1
HAVE_FTIME=
HAVE_FTIME_DECL=
HAVE_GETHOSTBYNAME=1
HAVE_GETHOSTBYNAME_DECL=1
HAVE_GETHOSTNAME=1
HAVE_GETHOSTNAME_DECL=1
HAVE_GETPTY=
HAVE_GETPTY_DECL=
HAVE_GETRUSAGE=1
HAVE_GETRUSAGE_DECL=1
HAVE_GETWD=1
HAVE_GETWD_DECL=1
HAVE_GRANTPT=
HAVE_GRANTPT_DECL=
HAVE_IOCTL=1
HAVE_IOCTL_DECL=
HAVE_LIMITS_H=1
HAVE_LSTAT=1
HAVE_LSTAT_DECL=1
HAVE_MALLOC=1
HAVE_MALLOC_DECL=1
HAVE_MALLOC_H=
HAVE_MAXPATHLEN=1
HAVE_MEMORY_H=1
HAVE_MEMSET=1
HAVE_MEMSET_DECL=1
HAVE_MOTIF_WIDGETS=1
HAVE_NAMED_RETURN_VALUES=1
HAVE_NDIR_H=
HAVE_NETDB_H=1
HAVE_PATH_MAX=1
HAVE_PCLOSE=1
HAVE_PCLOSE_DECL=1
HAVE_POPEN=1
HAVE_POPEN_DECL=1
HAVE_POSIX_PATH_MAX=1
HAVE_PRETTY_FUNCTION=1
HAVE_PTSNAME=
HAVE_PTSNAME_DECL=
HAVE_PWD_H=1
HAVE_RAND=1
HAVE_RANDOM=1
HAVE_RANDOM_DECL=1
HAVE_RAND_DECL=1
HAVE_READLINK=1
HAVE_READLINK_DECL=1
HAVE_SETBUF=1
HAVE_SETBUF_DECL=1
HAVE_SETPGID=1
HAVE_SETPGID_DECL=1
HAVE_SETPGRP2=
HAVE_SETPGRP2_DECL=
HAVE_SETPGRP=1
HAVE_SETPGRP_DECL=1
HAVE_SETPWENT=1
HAVE_SETPWENT_DECL=1
HAVE_SETSID=1
HAVE_SETSID_DECL=1
HAVE_SETVBUF=1
HAVE_SETVBUF_DECL=1
HAVE_SIGBLOCK=1
HAVE_SIGBLOCK_DECL=1
HAVE_SIGPROCMASK=1
HAVE_SIGPROCMASK_DECL=1
HAVE_SIGSETMASK=1
HAVE_SIGSETMASK_DECL=1
HAVE_SIGSUSPEND=1
HAVE_SIGSUSPEND_DECL=1
HAVE_SRAND=1
HAVE_SRANDOM=1
HAVE_SRANDOM_DECL=1
HAVE_SRAND_DECL=1
HAVE_STAT=1
HAVE_STAT_DECL=1
HAVE_STDLIB_H=1
HAVE_STRERROR=1
HAVE_STRERROR_DECL=1
HAVE_STRINGS_H=1
HAVE_STRING_H=1
HAVE_STRSIGNAL=1
HAVE_STRSIGNAL_DECL=
HAVE_STRTOD=1
HAVE_STRTOD_DECL=1
HAVE_STRTOL=1
HAVE_STRTOL_DECL=1
HAVE_SYS_CORE_H=
HAVE_SYS_DIR_H=
HAVE_SYS_IOCTL_H=1
HAVE_SYS_NDIR_H=
HAVE_SYS_PARAM_H=1
HAVE_SYS_RESOURCE_H=1
HAVE_SYS_SOCKET_H=1
HAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1
HAVE_SYS_STROPTS_H=
HAVE_SYS_SYSMACROS_H=
HAVE_SYS_TERMIOS_H=1
HAVE_SYS_TIMEB_H=1
HAVE_SYS_TIME_H=1
HAVE_SYS_USER_H=1
HAVE_SYS_UTSNAME_H=1
HAVE_SYS_VTY_H=
HAVE_SYS_WAIT_H=1
HAVE_TCGETATTR=1
HAVE_TCGETATTR_DECL=1
HAVE_TCGETPGRP=1
HAVE_TCGETPGRP_DECL=1
HAVE_TCGETSID=
HAVE_TCGETSID_DECL=
HAVE_TCSETATTR=1
HAVE_TCSETATTR_DECL=1
HAVE_TCSETPGRP=1
HAVE_TCSETPGRP_DECL=1
HAVE_TERMIOS_H=1
HAVE_TERMIO_H=
HAVE_TIMES=1
HAVE_TIMES_DECL=1
HAVE_UNAME=1
HAVE_UNAME_DECL=1
HAVE_UNISTD_H=1
HAVE_UNLINK=1
HAVE_UNLINK_DECL=1
HAVE_UNLOCKPT=
HAVE_UNLOCKPT_DECL=
HAVE_VFORK=1
HAVE_VFORK_DECL=1
HAVE_VFORK_DECL=1
HAVE_VFORK_H=
HAVE_WAITPID=1
HAVE_WAITPID_DECL=1
HAVE_X11_XAW_FORM_H=1
HAVE_X11_XAW_PANNER_H=1
HAVE_X11_XAW_PORTHOLE_H=1
HAVE_X11_XMU_EDITRES_H=1
HAVE__GETPTY=
HAVE__GETPTY_DECL=
RETSIGTYPE=void
STACK_DIRECTION=
STAT_MACROS_BROKEN=
STDC_HEADERS=1
TIME_WITH_SYS_TIME=1
_POSIX_SOURCE=
gid_t=
mode_t=
off_t=
pid_t=
size_t=
uid_t=
vfork=

Tools and Flags:
ALL_X_LIBS=$(LIBX) $(LIBXM) $(LIBXAW) $(LIBXEXT) $(LIBXT) $(LIBX11)
AR=ar
AR_FLAGS=q
AR_X_FLAGS=x
AUTOCONF=autoconf
AUTOHEADER=autoheader
AWK=awk
bindir=$(exec_prefix)/bin
CAT=cat
CC=cc
CFLAGS=-g
CI=ci
CMP=cmp
CO=co
CPP=gcc -E -traditional-cpp
CPPFLAGS=
CUT=cut
CXX=c++
CXXBINDING=
CXXDEBUG=-g
CXXDYNAMIC_BINDING=-Bdynamic
CXXFLAGS=$(CXXOPT) $(CXXDEBUG) $(CXXWARNINGS)
CXXLIBS=
CXXOPT=-DNDEBUG -O2
CXXSTATIC_BINDING=-Bstatic
CXXSTUFF=-fexternal-templates -felide-constructors
CXXWARNINGS=-Wall
DATE=date
DDD=DDD
ddd=ddd
DEFS=-DHAVE_CONFIG_H
DEMOS=cxxtest ctest test-graph bug ptest m2test
DIFF=diff
DVIPS=
DVIS=
ECHO=echo
exec_prefix=${prefix}
FIX_INDEX=$(SED) -f $(srcdir)/fixindex.sed
GDB=gdb
GET_NODE=$(SHELL) $(srcdir)/get-node
GREP=grep
GROFF=groff
GZIP=gzip
HEAD=head
host_canonical=i386-unknown-freebsdBUILT
HRTMLS=
IDXS=*.cp *.fn *.ky *.pg *.tp *.vr
INCLUDE=-I. -I$(srcdir) -I$(srcdir)/.. -I$(srcdir)/../include $(X_INCLUDE)
infodir=/usr/info
INSTALL=/usr/bin/install -c
INSTALL_DATA=${INSTALL} -m 644
INSTALL_PROGRAM=${INSTALL}
LDFLAGS=-g -O
LEX=lex
LEXLIB=-ll
LEXTOCPLUS=$(SHELL) $(srcdir)/lextoC -prefix $(YY) && $(RM) lex.yy.c
LFLAGS=
LIBC=-lc
LIBIBERTY=../libiberty/libiberty.a
LIBM=-lm
LIBRX=../librx/librx.a
LIBS=$(LIBC) $(LIBRX) $(LIBTERMCAP) $(LIBIBERTY) $(LIBM) $(LIBC)
LIBTERMCAP=../termcap/libtermcap.a
LIBX=-lSM -lICE  -L/usr/X11R6/lib
LIBXAW=-lXaw -lXmu
LIBXEXT=-lXext
LIBXM=-lXm
LIBXT=-lXt
LN_S=ln -s
LS=ls
MAKEINFO=makeinfo
mandir=$(prefix)/man
MANS=$(srcdir)/ddd.man
MKDIR=mkdir
MV=mv
NEWHELP=sed="$(SED)" $(SHELL) $(srcdir)/newhelp
NROFF=$(GROFF) -Tascii
OBJECTS=$(NORA_OBJECTS) $(DDD_OBJECTS)
PC=pc
PFLAGS=-g
prefix=/usr
PROGS=ddd
PSS=
RANLIB=ranlib
RCSDIFF=rcsdiff
README_FILES=
RM=rm -f
RMDIR=rmdir
SED=sed
SHELL=/bin/sh
SORT=sort
srcdir=.
STRIP=strip
TAR=tar
target_canonical=i386-unknown-freebsdBUILT
TEX=tex
TEXINDEX=texindex
TOUCH=touch
transform=s,x,x,
VERSION=1.0a
VSL_CPP=$(CPP) -P -I$(srcdir)/../vsllib -I$(prefix)/lib/vsl-include
X_INCLUDE=-I/usr/X11R6/include
YACC=yacc
YFLAGS=
YY=yy

% gcc --version
2.6.3

% gdb --version
GDB 4.13 (i386-unknown-freebsd), Copyright 1994 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org