Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 16:54:02 -0500
From:      Charles Peterman <cjp@sandstorm.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   duplication of large files to memory disk problem

OS: 4.5-RC2

Hardware: Intel STL-2 Dual PIII
	  1 GIG of PC133 SDRAM
	  PCI ATA-100 Controller

Kernel Configuration (Changes from GENERIC):
	Added SMP, APIC
	Upped NMBCLUSTERS to 16384
	Changed MD_NSECT to 1200000 (600 MEG)
	Commented out unused Ethernet drivers.

Created Memory Disk as specified on md handbook:

if [ -e /dev/md0 -a -e /dev/md0c ]; then
             disklabel -r -w md0 auto && \
             newfs /dev/md0c && \
             mount /dev/md0c /foo && \
             chmod 1777 /foo
     fi

System can write to disk using tcpdump -i fxp0 -w /foo/testfile
without much of a problem except a few dropped packets.

cp, however, wedges when I use it to duplicate a 112 MB file from
another file system. In top the state of the process is
MD SEC. This happens regardless of the ufs partition I do it from,
whether it is a slice or a dedicated disk.
Duplicating the file using dd, the same problem occurs. top shows
dd hung on MD SEC.

Duplicating files to the memory disk of sizes up to 81 MB has been successful.

Any further information provided upon request.
All helpful suggestions gratefully accepted.

Charles Peterman
Sandstorm Enterprises.