Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 15:16:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      doug <doug@safeport.com>
To:        Nick Lozinsky <nl3481@wi.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail is non-responsive

You may get some answers from people for have updated/installed in the
last two weeks, but I need more information. E.g., FreeBSD version and/or
build date; maybe even the version of sendmail you are wrestling with, and
the contents of /etc/rc.conf.

My systems are 4.5; build date=2002.03.07.14.41.00. With that you set
Sendmail 8.11.6 (telnet localhost 25). With that you get:

pemaquid:~/cvsup> ps -auxw | grep sendmail
root     101  0.0  1.2  2504 1472  ??  Ss   25Mar02   0:39.72 sendmail:
accepting connections (sendmail)

and with sendmail works out of the box to send mail.

Assuming you have a later version try

   grep -i sendmail /etc/defaults/rc.conf

and check your setting in /etc/rc.conf