Date:      Fri, 06 Feb 2004 12:22:41 -0700
From:      "Lord Sith" <lordsith49@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: atacontrol weirdness: RAID 1 array is shown to be degraded but bothdisks are

>From: Gabriel Ambuehl <gaml@buz.ch>
>To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
>Subject: atacontrol weirdness: RAID 1 array is shown to be degraded but
>bothdisks are up
>Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 19:30:29 +0100
>
>The 4.9 box has got onboard Promise RAID which so far has worked just
>fine.
>
>However, today I got a report about a degraded disk array so I went to
>check and found something rather odd:
>
>$ atacontrol list
>ATA channel 0:
>     Master:      no device present
>     Slave:       no device present
>ATA channel 1:
>     Master:      no device present
>     Slave:       no device present
>ATA channel 2:
>     Master:      no device present
>     Slave:       no device present
>ATA channel 3:
>     Master:  ad6 <WDC WD800BB-00CAA1/17.07W17> ATA/ATAPI rev 5
>     Slave:   ad7 <WDC WD800BB-00CAA1/17.07W17> ATA/ATAPI rev 5
>$ atacontrol status 0
>ar0: ATA RAID1 subdisks: ad6 ad7 status: DEGRADED
>

>How can a RAID array be degraded when both disks are still there? How
>do I figure out what disk holds the current set of data? And
>what do I need to do, anyway?

The disk won't disappear from FreeBSD's device list unless it is removed
intentionall.

For Promise IDE based RAID systems, the best way to find out which one has
failed is to boot into the RAID BIOS and look. It will tell you which one
has failed. You can then replace that drive and rebuild the array.

Let the advanced features & services of MSN Internet Software maximize your
online time. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200363ave/direct/01/