Date:      Wed, 27 May 2015 21:19:15 -0400
From:      Shawn Webb <shawn.webb@hardenedbsd.org>
To:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@freebsd.org>, Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ASLR work into -HEAD ?

--nextPart2596045.YBsWsGe7M1

On Wednesday, 27 May 2015 20:31:12 Ed Maste wrote:
> On 27 May 2015 at 20:00, Shawn Webb <shawn.webb@hardenedbsd.org> wrot=
e:
> > At the FreeBSD Developer Summit at EuroBSDCon 2014, Ed Maste said o=
> > behalf of the FreeBSD Foundation that he (and by extension, the
> > Foundation) would block the ASLR patch from being merged into HEAD =
if we
> > didn't provide a mechanism for disabling ASLR as a non-root user on=
> > per-binary basis.
>=20
> I said no such thing.
>=20
> I did have reservations about various aspects of the ASLR work and
> also passed on concerns of others. I certainly did not say that I (or=

> the Foundation) would block the work unless certain conditions were
> met. The Foundation doesn't have authority to block a change, anyway.=

>=20
> I did say that we'd need the ability to disable ASLR on a per-process=

> basis, with my specific interest being use by the debugger.

After talking with Ed in private, I realized that I must have misunders=
tood=20
the situation. He was mainly curious about how to satisfy existing=20
functionality in gdb and lldb. He didn't mean to convey that he would b=
lock=20
the merge of the patch. I must have misunderstood. I still dislike the=20=

feature, but it'll remain in the patch upstream.

I fear that I may be growing tired of non-technical discussions involvi=
ng=20
politics. As I said to Adrian Chadd in IRC, over the last nearly two ye=
ars,=20
I've kissed so many shoes to get this in, I've now grown weary and cyni=
cal.

Unless someone has actual technical input regarding the patch itself, I=
'm=20
going to refrain from commenting further. If you have technical input=20=

regarding the patch, please comment on the diff at Phabricator.

Thanks,

=2D-=20
Shawn Webb
HardenedBSD

GPG Key ID:                0x6A84658F52456EEE
GPG Key Fingerprint: 2ABA B6BD EF6A F486 BE89  3D9E 6A84 658F 5245 6EEE