Date:      Sun, 1 Jun 1997 20:10:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: kern/3739: pause key not disabled; weird stuff when pressed

The following reply was made to PR kern/3739; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To: dmm125@bellatlantic.net
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, yokota@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 11:59:12 +0900

 >>Number:         3739
 >>Category:       kern
 >>Synopsis:       pause key not disabled; weird stuff when pressed
 >>Confidential:   no
 >>Severity:       non-critical
 >The pause key is not disabled on the AT keyboard.  When 'pause' is hit
 >(like during 'cat' of a large file) some weird stuff happens.

 The console driver `syscons' has the `back-scroll' feature which is
 activated by the `Scroll-Lock' or `Pause' keys. When one of these keys
 is pressed, the screen output is suspended and you can `back scroll'
 lines recently printed on the screen. You navigate through the lines
 with `Page-up/down', `Home', `End' and `Up/Down' keys.

 The `Scroll Lock' LED should be on while in this mode.

 >The file will resume scrolling only after pressing 'pause' key
 >2 or 3 times.

 Just one press should bring you back to the normal output mode...

 >After the scrolling of text is finished, the key
 >mappings are screwed-up.  For example, pressing p is the same as
 >'left arrow', the s key does something else, etc.  If you press ^C, the shell
 >exits.  If you press scroll lock about 5 times, followed by ^C, the terminal i
 >s restored.

 We may be seeing strange interaction between the output routine, the
 `back scroll' routine and keyboard I/O routines.

 Would you check the state of the `Scroll Lock' LED during the
 phenomena you describe? How does your system behave if you activate
 the `back scroll' mode by pressing the `Scroll Lock' key instead of
 the `Pause' key. Are you using the default, built-in US keymap, or do
 you load any keymap?

 Kazu