Date:      Tue, 02 Feb 1999 11:50:51 +1100
From:      Carey Nairn <C.Nairn@dpac.tas.gov.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, "K. Marsh" <durang@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>, "q's" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: External SCSI device with internal SCSI adapter?

On my 2940UW I have one wide and one narrow connector internally and one
wide connector externally.  Since I have both wide and narrow devices
connected internally, I was unable to use the external connector.  My
solution was to get a plate connector which connected to the internal
narrow bus and provided an external connection.

cheers,
carey nairn

At 09:42 2/02/99 +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
>On Monday,  1 February 1999 at 12:28:45 -0800, K. Marsh wrote:
>> On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, Kent Stewart wrote:
>>
>>> Adaptec has cables to hook up their AHA-2940U2W to legacy 50 pin
>>> internal/external devices. It has a socket connector one end and a plate to
>>> go in a slot on the other end. I think I have seen these other places
but it
>>> would be easy to manufacturer.
>>
>> Yeah, I bought one of these.  Only thing is, then I can't connect any of
>> my internal devices - CD and hard disk.  I need to use BOTH internal AND
>> external devices with my adapter.  Possible?
>
>That depends on your host adaptor, about which you've been very quiet.
>All host adaptors that I know allow this configuration, but you may
>have to juggle terminators on older devices or change BIOS settings on
>newer ones.
>
>Greg
>--
>When replying to this message, please copy the original recipients.
>For more information, see http://www.lemis.com/questions.html
>See complete headers for address, home page and phone numbers
>finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key

Carey Nairn              		Mailto:C.Nairn@dpac.tas.gov.au
Network and Systems Administrator
Information Systems Branch           Phone:  (03) 6233 3077
Dept of Premier & Cabinet            Fax:    (03) 6224 3174
GPO Box 123b Hobart, Tasmania 7001
AUSTRALIA