Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:49:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        peter@sysadmin-inc.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw startup

(Cc: brutally changed to -questions)

In local.freebsd-security you write:

>I'm having difficulty getting ipfw to look at my ruleset on a 4.1-release
>box.

>i've compiled in the options needed to the kernel but when the box starts up
>i get

>IP packet filtering initialized...rule-based forwarding disabled, default to
>deny...

>and of course everything is denied except the loop back device.

>I've been unable to find any basic get-you-started type info.  I'm new to
>ipfw and just want to use the default rc.firewall for now.

Put:

 firewall_enable="YES"
 firewall_type="open"	# Or maybe "simple"

in /etc/rc.conf, to let everything through, and give you a chance of
experimenting with ipfw.  When you think you have a good ruleset to
load, put it in a file (say /etc/ipfw.rules) and put

 firewall_type="/etc/ipfw.rules"

in rc.conf.  Or, if you feel like a real expert, roll your own
firewall initialization script and set firewall_script=/etc/yourscript,
replacing rc.firewall.

>I've read the entire security chapter as well as the article on dialup
>firewall configuration.

>pointers to any helpful how to info or advice is greatly appreciated.

ipfw(8) and /etc/rc.firewall perhaps?

	$.02,
	/Mikko

P.S.  Hmm... you mention dialup?  ppp(8) has some filtering
      capabilities as well.  They may well be sufficient, and will
      handle dynamic IP resulting from PPP negotiation.
--
 Mikko Työläjärvi_______________________________________mikko@rsasecurity.com
 RSA Security