Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 1995 12:20:36 -0400
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@Glock.COM>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gm4 & fvwm

On Tue, June 27, 1995 at 10:53:11 (-0400), Chuck Robey wrote:

 > On Tue, 27 Jun 1995, Satoshi Asami wrote:

 > >  * 	Since fvwm is built with m4 support, and the BSD m4 contains
 > >  * considerably less functionality than the gnu m4, how about making fvwm
 > >  * depend on gnu m4 and then make it exec that at startup instead of m4?

 > > Actually, this applies to most of the *wm's in /usr/ports/x11 (AFAIK,
 > > ctwm, tvtwm and piewm all use m4, what about olvwm?).  I think this is
 > > a good extension than can be very useful, with a relatively small
 > > one-time cost (fetching & compiling of gm4) for the user, although it
 > > may be overkill for some of the non-power users.

 > > Although I use ctwm, I'm no m4 or gm4 hacker and don't really have a
 > > strong opinion one way or the other.  I certainly won't mind if my
 > > ctwm automatically pulled in gm4, though -- I'll probably use it some
 > > day anyway. :)

 > > What do other people think?  If nobody objects, we can split forces
 > > and go wm-hacking.

 > > Oh, and one thing...I assume gm4 is upward-compatible to BSD m4, right?

 > They all compile using the bsd m4, I've tried, so even if the gnu m4 is
 > better, just what does using it get you?

	Well, it has certain functionality that's a lot more suitable to
the types of things people (at least I) want to do.  For instance, you can
use a program to get the display number, and call that from within an
esyscmd macro in gm4, but m4 doesn't have this.  There are other things as
well - that example just came to mind.

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead              | Network Administration: Virginia Tech Center for
mmead@Glock.COM              | Network Administration and Software Development
http://www.Glock.COM/~mmead/ | Consulting: BizNet Technologies -> mmead@bnt.com