Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 2002 04:35:22 +0800
From:      "aaron g" <click46@operamail.com>
To:        <baccheta@cae.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Jail single ip network (FreeBSD 4.5)

:meep:

I've become what I loathe - an ignorant poster! My
apologies for the obvious lack of intelligence in my
previous reponse.

I run four jails [web, ftp, db, mail] on my FreeBSD 4.5-
RELEASE box and, due to jail's one IP disability, have
either disabled inetd all together, or specified which IP
it should respond to with the -a flag.

There are two things I can think of [which isnt saying much
now is it? ;)]: either inetd is getting confused trying to
bind to * ip's, which I have seen other programs do. Or you
could be running into what I ran into a while ago: the damn
thing just hangs. I never did find out why, but telnet and
ftp, started from inetd, would hang. I had to kill and
rekill the process a number of times before I got lucky.
All seemed well when I told it not to default to a
username. But then the problem cropped back up eventually
regardless of the flags I passed. I believe is has
something to do with S/Key but I'm not sure at all.

In my jails, sshd is only bound to the jail IP. I've found
things tend to work much much better if they are bound to
the specific jail IP. YMMV

- aarong