Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 2002 18:44:09 +0100
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Xine Troubles

Scott Long wrote:
> Check with atacontrol to be sure.  Other than that, I don't have many
> ideas.  Is this on 4.X, or on 5-current?  If it's the latter, make sure
> that INVARIANTS and WITNESS are removed from the kernel.

kiste# dmesg | grep acd0 && atacontrol mode 0
acd0: DVD-ROM <Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-103S 0115> at ata0-master
UDMA33
Master = UDMA33
Slave  = UDMA66

No WITNESS & INVARIANTS, like I wrote in the first place.

> Xine has suffered from this problem from the beginning.  It follows the
> simple process of reading a chunk of data from the disc, decoding and
> displaying, then reading the next chunk.  It really needs to be reading
> the data in the background, and not force the decoder to sleep at the
> end of each block.  Our threads implementation is not well suited for
> this task, so the solution is to create two processes that share the
> stream data in SHM, like some of the other players do.

Makes sense. So, the suggestion would be "if it doesn't work, look for a
different player"? Well, is there any different player that is up to
speed? It seems like almost everything else is very much libdvdread &
friends-based and is performing quite poorly. I'd buy DivX-Videos if
that were possible, but ... :)

--
Michael Nottebrock