Date:      Tue, 6 Oct 98 17:21:06 +0200
From:      Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr
To:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Setting up a mini-isp

Hello,

I've set up a dial-in PPP server with FreeBSD 2.2.5-R.
I've used mgetty (in the ports) and user-level PPP (all is almost
correctly explained in the handbook)
I've read in -questions that mgetty is probably not needed userland ppp
and a modem configured to auto-answer should be ok.

TfH

PS :
how do you hook up your FreeBSD box to the ADSL modem ? (via Ethernet ?)
how is the IP address allocated ? (DHCP ?)

> I want to try an experiment.  Just to know how it's done.  I'd like to
> give dial-up access to the net to some friends through my home sub-net.

> My underutilised ADSL connection can handle the traffic.  The FreeBSD
box
> sure can.
>
> I can see I'd need to do some adduser stuff.  But what would they see
on
> the other end?  Most of these people won't want a shell account.
They'll