Date:      Fri, 10 Jun 2011 12:57:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com>
To:        David Banning <david+dated+1308165107.fdbca6@skytracker.ca>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: copying hard drives

=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0AFrom: David Banning <david+date=
d+1308165107.fdbca6@skytracker.ca>=0ATo: questions@freebsd.org=0ASent: Fri,=
 June 10, 2011 3:11:46 PM=0ASubject: copying hard drives=0A=0AI am interest=
ed in copying hard drives and would like some feedback.=0A=0A1. I would lik=
e a way to take peoples windows -or- unix systems and=0Astore each on porta=
ble hard drive as a single file - so that in the=0Aend I have a large, say =
2TB drive with a number of peoples operating=0Asystem backed up - that can =
later be restored.=A0 =0A=0AOne concern I have is that the file saved is un=
der a certain generic=0Astandard - I don't want to be in a situation down t=
he road where I=0Aneed to restore, but the required software to restore is =
defunct.=0AIt would be nice to have the operating system on a stick - so I=
=0Acould boot into the program from a clients computer, connect a large=0Ad=
rive, and backup their entire drive.=0A=0A2. I'd like a simple way to copy =
- my FreeBSD system to another=0Adrive - a clone so to speak - which I know=
 dd can do - but I wonder=0Aif there is a way to do this so that clone driv=
e can be smaller that=0Athe original. My thinking here is that I need to ex=
periment with=0Achanges but can't do it on a live system - hence the copy b=
ooted=0Afrom a separate machine.=0A________________________________________=