Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:03:06 -0600
From:      "Thomas Connolly" <tconnolly@electrosoftsolutions.com>
To:        "'Jeff D. Hamann'" <jeff_hamann@hamanndonald.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: broken XFree86-4 port on 4.4?

Hello,
I had the same trouble when trying to upgrade.  I'm not exactly sure
what causes that problem.  There were two ways I was able to get around
this problem.

1) Do a /stand/sysinstall and and do a post-install configuration.  This
will install 4.2.0 on your system or

2) Go to the XFree86 site and download the 4.2.0 release and use the
install script.
 sh install.sh
The script seems to do a pretty good job.

Tom Connolly