Date:      Fri, 7 Mar 2003 01:00:33 -0800
From:      David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "leak" in softupdates?

Thus spake Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@hub.org>:
> OS is 4.8-RC FreeBSD 4.8-RC #38: Tue Mar  4 22:43:18 CST 2003 with a patch
> from Tor Egge to fix a problem with how vnodes are kept track of and
> reclaimed/reused ...

Hmmm...did you run into the problem before applying the patch?
I can't imagine softupdates getting several gigabytes behind.

> I've tried doing a 'sync', figuring that maybe it would force all
> outstanding writes to the drive, but that seems to make no difference
> either ...

By the way, sync(8) doesn't guarantee that all outstanding
dependencies are written to disk.  It does write out all buffers
that can be written at the time sync is called, but while those
buffers are being written, dependencies may be uncovered and more
buffers may come along.  Since it could potentially have to keep
trying forever in the face of an infinite stream of requests, sync
doesn't keep trying.

You can guarantee that everything is flushed to disk (if even for
a brief moment) by attempting to unmount the filesystem you want
to sync (without -f).  The unmount will fail because the
filesystem is in use, but everything will be written out before it
does.

What I really don't understand is how you seem to manage to run
into more bugs than everyone else.  (FYI, the libc_r/KVA_PAGES
bug is now fixed in -STABLE.)