Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 1997 07:26:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matthew Fremont <mrf@microserve.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   cvsup over ppp

I'm experiencing problems using cvsup RELENG_2_1_0 from a 2.1.5
system over a ppp link.

cvsup successfully connects to cvsup5.freebsd.org and begins working,
but after only 30s or so, all indications of work on the client side
stop. On several occasions, after about 4:30 or so, cvsup reports that
it lost the network connection.

Concurrent with cvsup's problems, I notice that I can't get anything
else through the ppp link until I reconnect to my ISP: even ping
doesn't receive a response from cvsup5.freebsd.org or other hosts that
I've tried. I haven't had troubles like this with my ppp link before,
so I'm a bit baffled.

Config:

FreeBSD 2.1.5 from CD (i.e. no patches or other mods applied)
user-level ppp
cvsup-bin-14.1.1 with /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile

Any help is appreciated.

Matthew Fremont