Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 1997 01:43:43 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        tarkhil@mgt.msk.ru
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG

>I'm running FreeBSD-2.2.2-stable on P-133, with EtherExpress card (fxp0
> interface). Sometimes (about 3-4 times per week) I'm getting troubles
> with IP. 127.0.0.1 pings ok, and my fxp0's address as well, but no other
> computer can see me, and I can't see any others.
>
>Putting fxp0 in promiscous mode heals the trouble in several seconds, but
> shutdown (without reboot) doesn't help. Routing tables remains unchanged.
> It happened at both day and night, the only program that could receive
> something thry TCP/IP was sendmail.

   Sounds like you have a "rev 1" chip on the board and the ethernet you're
attaching it to has noise problems which are triggering a bug in the chip
that causes the receiver to lock up. The problem is especially acute when
the interface is in 10Mbps mode. The best solution: find out why your network
has garbage on it and fix it. Some hubs will filter out the garbage, so using
a different hub might also fix the problem. Another solution: replace the
card with a newer one that has the fixed NIC ("rev 2").

-DG

David Greenman