Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 1998 21:48:49 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Phil Staub <phils@casagate.plan.pixelogix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp (iij) doesn't recognize carrier loss anymore

> Brian Somers wrote:
> [brian@worldcontrol.com's description of non-hangup problems deleted]
> >
> > Check out the FAQ on http://www.FreeBSD.org/FAQ/userppp.html.  I
> > haven't heard of any other problems with the current ppp in that
> > area (but there *were* such problems in 2.2.5).
>
> Can you point me to a paragraph in the FAQ or other reference to the
> problems you alluded to in 2.2.5?
>
> I just brought up a ppp server whose ppp session won't die if the user
> at the client machine kills (i.e., via kill -9) *his* end of the
> session. Once this has happened, further attempts to dial in fail (the
> modem never answers) and the ppp process must be manually killed.
>
> However, if the idle timeout expires and the connection shuts down that
> way, the next dial works just fine. In this case, I'm not sure whether
> the ppp process itself shuts down or not.
>
> I'm sure another piece you'll need to know is that I am using mgetty,
> with the setup instructions essentially copied from the online (at
> freebsd.org) manual.
>
> I've looked in what seemed to be the obvious places (FAQ's, Manual, Man
> pages) and haven't seen reference to this problem. Can you help?

The problems with ppp in 2.2.5 are mentioned at

  http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/2.2.5R/errata.html

I'd advise trying the latest version (available on
http://www.FreeBSD.org/~brian), and also making sure that you have
``normal CD operations'' set on your modem (it should *not* fake
carrier detect).

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;